The Body Issue

Vulva-tastic! Learning to love your labia

The Eye has rounded up the best resources to celebrate the diversity of vulvas

Raise your hand if you think your vulva looks ‘weird’. Now raise your hand if it doesn't look like what you've seen in porn. Last, but not least, raise your hand if you were ever afraid your partner would be turned off by your vagina while doing the deed.

The vulva is the external part of the vagina, yet many people often confuse it with the entire vagina. While some would use both as interchangeable words, each vulva is composed of the labia, the clitoris, the vaginal opening and the urethral opening.

Although the vulva and the vagina are a normal parts of the human body, there’s a long-standing history of ‘vagina shaming,’ the idea that people with vaginas should be ashamed of their genitals as it is perceived as ugly and unclean.

A survey of 3,670 women by Refinery29 found that 48 per cent of respondents had concerns about the appearance of their vulva. Most respondents worried about their vulva’s size, shape and colour.

To allow you to proudly embrace the vulva for what it is, natural and normal, The Eyeopener rounded up some of the best Instagram accounts to follow and resources to use to appreciate the beauty of the vuh-heen:

The Vulva Gallery

Created by non-binary artist Hilde Atalanta, The Vulva Gallery (@the.vulva.gallery) aims to celebrate vulva diversity. At The Vulva Gallery, each illustration of a vulva is accompanied by a personal story. You would be surprised how each vulva looks different due to genetics, chronic disease and the conditions of each person’s body. All of these are completely natural and come along with having a body. In an effort to normalize conversations surrounding vulvas, Netflix has also teamed up with The Vulva Gallery to create All Vulvas Are Beautiful, an online art gallery, which is featured in Season 3, Episode 3 of the comedy-drama series Sex Education.

Photo credits: The Vulva Gallery (@the.vulva.gallery)

Vagina Museum

Located in the U.K., Vagina Musuem (@vagina_museum) is "the world's first bricks and mortar museum dedicated to the gynecological anatomy." Although you might not be able to visit the museum in person, you can always take a look at their wide range of historic paintings featured on their Instagram page. You can also visit one of their past exhibitions online: Muff Busters: Vagina Myths and How To Fight Them .

Photo credits: Vagina Musuem (@vagina_museum)

Vulvette Underground

The Vulvette Underground (@vulvetteunderground) is a Montreal-based art project founded in 2018 by artists, Valérie Auclair and Gaétan Fontaine. Using vulva casting workshops, street art, photography and sculpture, the Vulvette Underground hopes to free the conversation around the vulva.

"The vulva is the region of the body that is still the most taboo. It is an invitation to regain power over their image and sexuality," the duo stated on their website. Photos of the sculptures can be found on their Instagram account.

Photo credits: Vulvette Underground (@vulvetteunderground)

50 Vulvas Project

The goal of the 50 Vulvas Project (@50vulvas) is to normalize and de-stigmatize the appearance of vulvas. Creator Meg Primmer collected a total of 50 pictures of vulvas from people around the world to illustrate and normalize their natural diversity. In her Instagram post, Primmer said the concerning rise in labiaplasty cosmetic surgery—a surgery that decreases the size of the labia—implies that many feel like there is something wrong with their vulvas, and Primmer wants people to embrace their natural body.

"Like all cosmetic surgery, it’s the individual's choice as to why they want to get [labiaplasty cosmetic surgery], but also we must question more often WHY those people feel the need to pay thousands to correct their genitalia, and break the stigma!" she wrote.

Photo credits: 50 Vulvas Project (@50vulvas)

Jensplaining

Featuring gynecologist Dr. Jen Gunter, Jensplaining is a sex education show available on CBC Gem. The show answers common questions about your body that were never discussed in your high school's sex-ed class. With her unique humour and expertise, Dr. Gunter guides us through misconceptions about sex and people assigned female at birth in our society.

Photo credits: CBC Gem

Episode nine talks specifically about the vagina and calls out "wellness products" that try to profit off the insecurities of people with vaginas. Gunter debunks the narrative of "the dirty vagina" through her medical expertise and shares how to take good care of your own! Her Twitter, @DrJenGunter is also a hot spot for any need-to-know info about reproductive health. Very Vagical.